Thursday, September 6, 2018

Deskless Classroom 2018 Update

Image from here

Three years ago, I went deskless!  I removed all but three desks and two tables from my classroom, and introduced flexible seating to my students.  I wrote a blog post about it a month later.  Now that more time has passed, I wanted to write another blog post about it.

First things first:  I 100% stand by my decision to do this in the first place!  It has been the most wonderful experience ever!  I told my principal that I never want to have desks in my room again! 

You can see *most of* my classroom from this angle.   You can view the rest of my classroom here.


When I first made the switch, I only had puzzle pieces and seat cushions, which I received from Kaplan:



I still have those, but I've added more items!

I bought these additional puzzle pieces from a Facebook Online Yard Sale.

 There are multiple bathmats (from Freecycle) and three yoga mats (from Five Below,) in this crate.

I have six wobble stools (hokki stools,) at my guided reading table. These are also from Kaplan.

Here are more seat cushions - this time from Lakeshore Learning.

If my students are working on the floor, they can choose to use clipboards (which I've had forever and honestly don't remember where I go them from,) and these cute lap desks which are from Staples Advantage.



They can also choose to use privacy shields.


The students keep their supplies in these buckets.


Although this year, I opted for pencil boxes which I purchased on sale at Target!

As a result of my classroom environment, I've become even more aware of dirt and germs, and I take steps to prevent the spread of germs in my classroom.

Students must wipe their feet on my welcome mat when they arrive in the morning, and after they return from lunch / recess.  

On snowy / muddy days, they take off their shoes, and use napkins to get any extra dirt off the bottom of their shoes.

I purchased a mini broom set so we sweep as needed throughout the day.  The students LOVE to take responsibility for that!  I just recently purchased a Swiffer to use as well.  (The students will not be using it.) 

With regards to germs, Lysol spray and Clorox wipes are my best friends.  Honestly, I should probably invest in those companies!  I spray my whole room with Lysol at the end of the day - after the students have left.  I wipe down my computer keyboards, tables, desks, the doorknob, and sink daily.  I clean my seat cushions weekly.  During cold / flu season, they might get cleaned 2-3 times a week.

To read more about flexible seating and what the research says, check out the links below:

2.  From Top Dog Teaching.
3.  From Edutopia.

If you have any questions about flexible seating, feel free to ask away in the comments section!

Thanks for stopping by!
~Stacey~





No comments:

Post a Comment

Synergize: Together is Better - Nascar Style

  Created the image with two separate images found on Google. I had the pleasure of teaching summer school this summer.  I was not at my usu...