Friday, October 24, 2014

1st Grade Hodgepodge Update

What fun we are having in 1st grade!!!!!

A few weeks ago we practiced the -op chunk! One of my favorite things to do is a sensory writing with POPCORN.  We didn't get to the popcorn that week, but we had fun writing -op chunk words on popcorn pieces and making this art project!


Yup, I'm hungry now! :-)

Next up, Columbus Day!
2021 Edit:  As I look back on my posts, I realize that some of the things I blogged about over the years, are no longer celebrated the way they use to be or reflect correct information.  For example:  Christopher Columbus.  Although I could delete this, I am going to leave it up.  Why?  My hope is that my post will spark ideas for other explorers or activities teachers could use INSTEAD of this one. 

My students and I discussed how Columbus was an explorer.  We then talked about what an explorer is and what they do.  Then they wrote about what they might see for the first time if they were the ones who discovered America.

They came up with this:



I know I got the unit off TPT but I can't find it anywhere.  If this is your unit, please let me know so I can give you credit!  Thanks!

On Monday, we went to the zoo!  I took a whole bunch of pictures but I'm only going to post a few of them!






If you can't see - there are 2 of them there!





We had such an amazing time!  This has really helped boost our enthusiasm for our zoo project we're going to embark on this year!!!!

Next up: The kids saw a bat at the zoo and they started talking non-stop about it!  I found this awesome idea from First Grader...At Last! and knew I had to do it!  Therefore, I leave you with our bat mobile!










Thanks if you have hung in this long! One more subject for the evening - fire department visit!!!!

We had guys from our local fire department come and talk with the kids on Thursday!  The kids saw one of the guys put their uniform on and after each piece he put on, they were reassured that he wasn't scary.  We're trying to emphasize the importance of firefighters and that kids have no reason to be scared. They talked about what to do if their clothes catch on fire and what to do if there is a fire in your house.

Then we went outside and got to look at an ambulance and a firetruck.

Here are some pics!











The kids had a blast and they were so well behaved!  Afterwards we wrote about firefighters and did a craft to go with it.  I'll make sure to post those pictures next time!

All right folks! Thanks for reading!  Enjoy your weekend!!!!!
Stacey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Synergize: Together is Better - Nascar Style

  Created the image with two separate images found on Google. I had the pleasure of teaching summer school this summer.  I was not at my usu...