Saturday, September 20, 2014

Pirate Day!!!!!!!!!!!!! RRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......

Oh my goodness!! For a few years now I've wanted to do something for International Talk Like a Pirate Day.  Every year, I've forgotten about it!

This year, I ALMOST forgot.....except that a post I saw on Pinterest at 5PM on Thursday reminded me about it....

This crazy teacher here, went to Party City at 8PM on Thursday night and bought some Pirate accessories...

This crazy teacher here, woke up 30 minutes earlier than she usually does to dress up in her Pirate outfit, went to Krispy Kreme, and got my free dozen doughnuts!

With less than 15 hours notice, put together the most amazing day ever - all pirate themed!!!!



During our morning rotation 3 pirate activities happened.

1.  When meeting with me, we ate our ***FREE*** Krispy Kreme doughnuts and used our 5 senses to describe the doughnuts!  (For those of you who don't know, when you go to Krispy Kreme on Talk Like a Pirate Day, and you're dressed up, you get 1 dozen free doughnuts!)

2.  When meeting with my co-teacher, they play a game about words that start with the letter R!



3.  During art center, they made a paper plate pirate!






Our staff development teacher let me borrow her treasure chest with fake coins in it. The kids saw it in the morning.


We put our pirate plates around it to protect it during lunch. 




While they were gone, the treasure "Disappeared!"

A note was left with very specific directions on how to find the treasure!  (Ok so what I did was typed up directions using a special font, printed it out, painted it using watered down brown paint, let it dry, and stapled it together.)  The directions used a lot of turn left and turn right (something I've been focusing on with my first graders!)












The directions took us all over the school!  Finally, they found the treasure in the office!  The office staff said they couldn't hand over the treasure until my students recited their class rules.  (Which they did!)


Once the treasure was safely back in our room, we used it for a math lesson!  We did a lot of comparing groups of coins using greater than, less than, and equal too.  One of my groups made groups of 10 and we used those groups of ten to figure out how many coins were in the chest!





I put their pirate projects on display in the hall!


As my kiddos were talking at the end of the day, I heard, "Pirate Day was the BEST DAY EVER!!!"

I love teaching!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Synergize: Together is Better - Nascar Style

  Created the image with two separate images found on Google. I had the pleasure of teaching summer school this summer.  I was not at my usu...