Tuesday, June 12, 2018

One Final Shot

Image from here

WE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
THE WASHINGTON CAPITALS ARE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't even begin to describe how happy I am!  My enthusiasm seems be to contagious!  For a second straight year in a row, I have converted all of my students (and their families,) into CAPS FANS!!!!  What a great year it has been!

Photo taken by Christina S.

I realize I haven't blogged as much this year as I did last year so let me give a brief recap:

2016-2017  school year:  My 1st graders and a 4th grade class collaborated on a hockey movie: HOCKEY STARS SHOWDOWN.  That movie was about a team that lost every game.  They never gave up and eventually won.

2017-2018 school year:  I brought my class together with the 4th graders again.  We reviewed what we did last year and asked the students if they wanted to make another hockey movie this year.  It was an overwhelming YES from all of them!

It has been a year full of team building, gingerbread zambonis and zambonis made out of recycled materials, ice skating, and lots of hard work!

The students worked in small groups to create potential story lines.  We selected the winning story by using ActiVotes in a March Madness elimination round.

Next, the students submitted their title ideas.  We used the same process to select our title - ONE FINAL SHOT. 

The students expanded on the script by adding dialogue, creating character names, and selecting numbers for the players.

Each student filled out an application on which role(s) they wanted and why.  Before that, I went over what all of the roles were and what they involved, whether it was a lot of hockey playing, how many lines they'd have to memorize, how much screen time, etc....

After the roles had been selected, the students went to work making the scenery, creating team logos, making parts of their costumes, practicing their lines, and rehearsing!

Finally it was time to film!  Here's the tour of the gym the day we filmed.
Here are some pictures from the locker room scenes:



The days leading up to our movie premiere, the Capitals won the Stanley Cup!  My students and I led a celebratory parade around the school with our Stanley Cup - a prop in our movie!

One of the 2nd grade classes joined us on our parade!  It was a blast!

This week, we premiered our movie.  Over 500 students came to the movie.  Everyone received a ticket, went through our ticket line, on to the snack counter where they received a small bag of popcorn, and into our theater which was covered in red paper. 

The students had jobs to do during the movie.  Students were stamping tickets, giving out popcorn, handing out programs, running the lights in theater, turning on the video, showing people to their seats, and sweeping up after everyone left. :-)

There are some similarities between our movie and what the Caps just went through winning the cup.
  • Movie -  Stanley Cup themed
  • Neither team in the movie had won the Stanley Cup before.  (Neither Vegas or the Caps had won before.)
  • The final score in our movie was 4-3.  (The Caps won game seven 4-3.)
  • The winning team that won in our movie, won that game "away."  (Caps won in Vegas.)
  • Lots of singing We Are the Champions.  (Do I need to elaborate on that one?)
These are all coincidences.  There was no way of us knowing back in March when this was written, that the Caps would win it all!  It sure does make this movie, and all of the experiences along with it, that much more special.

So without further ado, here is our movie, One Final Shot.

Thank you to everyone who helped make this possible!  This was truly a team effort and I could not have done it without you!

I hope you all enjoy the movie!
LET'S GO CAPS!!!!!
~Stacey~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Synergize: Together is Better - Nascar Style

  Created the image with two separate images found on Google. I had the pleasure of teaching summer school this summer.  I was not at my usu...