Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Free Writing


As I mentioned in my previous post, I am back in third grade!  It has been a little hard shifting from my "first grade" mindset to my "third grade" mindset.  One of those shifts comes with writing.

When I taught first grade, I made journal writing a part of their morning center time.  It was usually a little noisy in our room during that time.   It was one question / prompt.  I expected them to answer my question using a complete sentence and explain their answer. I tried to get the students to write about four or five sentences.

Now that I am in third, I have a different approach.  Although we've only been in school for two days, I see this approach working. (Knock on wood!)

I wait until later in the day to do journal writing.  I base our writing on something we learned about during the day - it usually involves their feelings about a certain topic.  I write a list of related questions to get their brains thinking.

Then they have 10 - 15 minutes to write their thoughts.  My goal is for them to get up to a page or more!

I play relaxing music while they silently write.  

The students have their writing folders which have a miniature word wall and a dictionary.  I make a point of telling the students that it is okay if they cannot spell a word - just do the best they can!

I also write in my journal!  The students are shocked that I am writing with them!  I even show them my journal so they know how much I write.

After the timer goes off, we circle up on the floor. (In case you are new to my blog, I have a deskless classroom.

I go around the room and ask each student if they want to share what they wrote.  They know they do not have to share if they do not want to.  Some students share out loud with the class.  Some students only want me to read it so they bring it over to me.  I am AMAZED at what I've seen from the students so far!  What great writers!  What wonderful vocabulary!  What fabulous thoughts!

I ask the students questions about what they wrote and always thank them for sharing.

Once everyone who wants to share has shared, I then read what I wrote. They really appreciate my honesty and I think it helps them to want to open up more as well!

That's all for today! 
Enjoy your evening!
~Stacey~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Synergize: Together is Better - Nascar Style

  Created the image with two separate images found on Google. I had the pleasure of teaching summer school this summer.  I was not at my usu...