Monday, April 24, 2017

Hockey, Movie Making, and Movie Theaters, Oh My! :-)

     Image from here

When my students and I first started this project, my immediate thought was, "Okay, I can teach them about hockey. Yes, I'm still learning about it, but it should be easy to teach.  Making a movie theater, I can totally do that too!  How in the world are we going to actually write a script and record this movie?  Oh my gosh! Am I in over my head?"  Well, yes, I am in over my head - and I'm loving every minute of it!

When my class and Mr. Racosky's class met after break, we started reading about script writing.  The book we read is called Cool Scripts & Acting:  How to Stage Your Very Own Show.  You can purchase the book here.  They have a whole series of Cool Performances books.  The students learned a lot.  Some of the things they learned about were

  • The parts of a script
  • Stage directions
  • Saying things in different ways (happy, sad, excited, mad, annoyed, etc...)
  • Projecting your voice
  • Stage whisper
We had a lot of fun saying things in different ways! They are really good at it!  We are still working on projecting our voices and using a stage whisper!


Image from here

The second time we met last week, the students worked in pairs or groups of 3 and wrote out possible titles for our movies.  I told the students to really think about our story line.  The title should be reflect what our movie is about.  I will be compiling all of their suggestions into a flipchart and the students will be voting on their favorite title.









We also spent some time editing our story.  We had a bunch of places where it said "they" did something or "this player passed to another player," but we didn't have any names.  We now have all of our characters first names. (Last names will come at another time.)

I've been collaborating with our art teacher on things we need to make for our movie.  The students created a list of everything we need to make and I gave it to our art teacher.  We've come up with some very creative ways of making things! :-)

Image from here

One of the things my colleagues and I have been working really hard on this year, is making math more authentic with real life scenarios.  Over spring break I emailed our staff development teacher about our movie theater.  One of the things the students will have to figure out is how many chairs can fit in the room that we're going to use for our movie theater.  This will then help us know how many classes we can have at one time.  She and I met and worked on turning this into several Drexel style math problems.  

The students started working on the problems today!  I took the students to the room we will be in and split them up into groups.  Each group received 1 chair, cubes, yardsticks, rulers, construction paper, whiteboards, markers, and erasers.  

First, I had the students explore their materials.  I asked them what they thought they would be using the materials for.  The students responded with "To make things we don't have for our movie," and "To measure the chair."






That led me to ask the question, "Why might we need to measure a chair?"  Their answers were, "So we know if they are the same height," and "So we can see how long the chairs are."






We went through every measuring tool and listed it as a standard unit or nonstandard unit of measurement.  Afterwards, I asked them "How can we use these things as measuring tools?"  This led into "How many chairs can fit in this room starting at the spot I've marked on the floor?  How can we figure it out?"  To dissect this problem, I asked the kids "Why do we even need to know how many chairs fit in this room?"  They responded with "So people won't have to stand up during our movie," "So we know how many rows we need," and "So we know how many people can come at one time."

We discussed how there are three parts of the chair we can measure:
How tall the chair is (the height)
How wide the chair is (the width)
How long the chair is (the length)

The students decided we didn't need to know the height, just the width and the length.
The students made a list of how we can measure:
  • use cubes
  • use yardsticks
  • use rulers
  • use the floor tiles (each floor tile is equal to 1 foot)
  • make a template of the chairs on the construction paper
Next time, the students will pick how they are going to measure and get to work.  They will have several opportunities to measure.  The first time, the only parameter is their starting point  Eventually, we'll talk about aisles!

Thank you for stopping by and I hope you enjoyed our update!

As always, you can find my previous entries about hockey here:

Hockey Entry #5
Hockey Entry #6

Have a great rest of your day! :-)

~Stacey~



No comments:

Post a Comment

Synergize: Together is Better - Nascar Style

  Created the image with two separate images found on Google. I had the pleasure of teaching summer school this summer.  I was not at my usu...